Select an image above to view works created by Bluffton students..
Bluffton’s art major is designed to help you develop your creative vision and skills by giving you the tools and teaching you the methods necessary to become a successful artist. Take courses in watercolor, graphic design, figure drawing, sculpture, ceramics and more.
As a first year student, you will take fundamental courses in design and drawing. As a senior, special courses will prepare you for life after graduation. You will create a professional web portfolio, develop an artist statement, build an impressive resume and mount an exhibition of personal work.
At Bluffton you will...
- Experience a professional and engaging faculty who are also working artists with published pieces.
- Create in large studios for drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics and sculpture courses.
- Use cutting edge technology including large-format printers and scanners, 3D printers and scanners, laser etching and cutting, computerized routers, DSLR cameras and iMac workstations.
- Travel to and learn about the culture of art in large cities like New York and Chicago through Art Now Seminars.
- Attend monthly artist receptions and exhibitions in Grace Albrecht Gallery, Bluffton
University's own gallery.
Students who took ceramics in fall 2016 not only created bowls, plates and vases during the semester, they built a kiln to fire their pieces in. The project was based on plans originally drawn up by Gregg Luginbuhl, a professor of art at Bluffton before his retirement in 2014. Luginbuhl passed away in 2016.
“I think it is part of Gregg’s legacy here at Bluffton. Gregg started that kiln; he
just wasn’t able to complete it. So we completed it for him.”
>>> More about the process
The art major can be completed in three years by dedicated and ambitious students.