Admnistrative assistant for academic affairs
The administrative assistant of the academic affairs office organizes and maintains academic affairs files; provides administrative support of adjunct pay and supplemental faculty pay; maintains academic processes involving the faculty; and supports the Plus committee, the social work program and several other academic affairs initiatives. This position also provides, as needed, administrative support to the vice president and academic dean, associate dean of academic affairs and assistant director of cross-cultural programs and assistant to the dean.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
These essential responsibilities are those the individual must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation.
- Academic affairs data files
- Create and maintain academic affairs shared drive data files
- Manage files for current and past full-time and part-time faculty, adjunct and CCP personnel.
- Pay support
- Prepare all supplemental and miscellaneous faculty payments for teaching which includes summer pay, fall and spring directed study, and overload
- Initiate and prepare all teaching work agreements for adjuncts (fall and spring semesters) assisting with pay calculation, document distribution and tracking of the same.
- Prepare and submit to the business office the monthly payroll report for staff under the academic affairs office (academic affairs, library, registrar’s office, LRC & Lion & Lamb).
- Administrative support of faculty processes
- Provide support for various faculty programs which may include any or all of the following duties: determine timeframes and schedules; coordinate meetings; prepare payments, requisitions and their corresponding records; distribute packets; maintain rosters, meeting records, notes, charts, etc.
- Programs include but are not limited to: faculty meetings, the faculty contract review process, faculty course evaluations, faculty professional development funds, colloquium series, sabbaticals, mini-leaves, grants, scholarships and additional miscellaneous programs. Will provide variations of support for the cross-cultural program, the Plus committee, presidential scholarship program, Pi Delta Society and the annual dean’s reception.
- Annual academic support
- Prepare academic calendars for approval by the president’s cabinet, final exam schedules for approval by the assoc. dean, faculty meeting roster amendments, faculty governance chart revisions, revision of faculty emergency contacts, current faculty and faculty emeriti sections of Bluffton’s catalog, the department chair manual, and faculty and adjunct handbooks.
- Social work program and department responsibilities
- Maintain the student roster and pertinent data, monitor and support program admission applications, gather information for annual CSWE survey completion, take department meeting minutes, maintain advisory council roster, assist with semi-annual advisory council meeting, and annually assist with revisions to the social work student manual and field work manual.
- Other Duties
- Answer telephone and e-mail correspondence, process mail and provide additional support as needed for the interim academic dean, the associate academic dean, and the assistant director of cross-cultural programs and assistant to the dean.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Education/Certification: Some post-secondary coursework at a college, university or technical school in a related field.
- Experience: Two to four years of experience in a secretarial or administrative assistant position.
- Skill/Abilities: Able to present information clearly and concisely, resolve questions
and problems in a professional manner, manage workflow and communicate with the supervisor,
construct short correspondence and memos, and prioritize tasks and manage in an atmosphere
of frequent interruptions. Possesses the skills of demonstrated high levels of accuracy
and attention to detail, demonstrated effectiveness in communications both verbally
and in writing. Has proven experience in effective working relationships. Intermediate
working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite. Must be flexible and able to work
independently. Able to meet deadlines. Able to analyze and initiate decisions in appropriate
contexts. Able to complete online forms and applications and navigate in an online
- Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience: Four or more years of experience in a secretarial or administrative assistant position at a college or university, ideally in an academic department. Project coordination experience.
- Skill/Abilities: In addition to the skills and abilities listed under minimum requirements: Advanced experience using Word and Excel; familiarity with educational software; ability to analyze and solve problems creatively; ability to make administrative decisions and judgments when necessary.
Physical demands/work environment:
The physical demands and/or work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Typical office conditions.
Application is considered complete when the following is received:
- Letter of interest
- Bluffton employment application
Send application materials to:
1 University Drive Box 0009
Bluffton, OH 45817
Employment decisions are based on merit and university needs, and not on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University expressly reserves its rights to appoint faculty and staff who share a commitment to the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church.