Head softball coach
Responsible for program building including but not limited to planning, coaching, recruiting, retention, managing and directing the women’s softball program. The head women’s softball coach will have other responsibilities, based on experience, which may include but are not limited to: game management for fall and/or winter sports; strength and conditioning; SAAC: and/or teaching pending on qualification. Work is performed under general supervision and performance evaluation is based upon completion of assignments and results obtained.
- Maintains up-do-date knowledge of, and compliance with, Bluffton University and NCAA Division III rules and regulations
- Acts as chief spokesperson for assigned sport
- Schedules pre-season and in-season contests in consultation with the director of athletics.
- Organizes and conducts practices and conditioning sessions.
- Demonstrates concern for the academic, physical and emotional well-being of each team
- Actively encourages and supports the academic success of team members, including encouraging or ensuring regular class attendance, monitoring grades and working to minimize conflicts between athletic and academic responsibilities.
- Actively encourages and supports the physical well-being of team members by working with the training staff and other appropriate medical personnel to assure that the student-athletes are physically ready to participate, which includes looking for signs of eating disorders or the use of illegal and/or unhealthful drugs and supplements and taking appropriate preventive measures, and establishing healthy workout and practice schedules.
- Actively encourages and supports the psychological and emotional well-being of team members, provides appropriate mentoring and life guidance, and seeks professional assistance when circumstances warrant.
- Coordinates the distribution, collection, and storage of athletic equipment, uniforms and supplies (during the season and at its conclusion) and the collection of fees for lost equipment and uniforms by student-athletes.
- Works with the director of athletics and physical plant staff to oversee the maintenance of practice and game venues.
- Fields competitive teams when playing other NCAA Division III colleges and universities. This is to be assessed over a three to four year time span.
- Hires and supervises part time staff according to established Bluffton University and athletic department procedures.
- Manage all aspects of the recruiting process from prospect ID to deposit and enrollment.
- Recruits student-athletes in line with university policy and NCAA Division III regulations. Works closely with the admissions department to this end.
- In consultation with the director of athletics, and the registrar’s office, assures that student-athletes are eligible to participate in athletics according to university and NCAA Division III regulations
- Financial Management
- Adheres to budget guidelines and keeps records and writes reports.
- Works with the director of athletics, the university’s business office, Buildings and Grounds, and other offices as appropriate to purchase necessary sport-specific athletic equipment and supplies.
- Ensures safe and cost effective travel to and from contests.
- Directs the process of raising additional funds for assigned sport with approval of the director of athletics.
- Fundraising – Annually raise around $30,000 to offset costs of spring travel and additional needs of program.
- Manage/oversee softball field upkeep in preparation for all practices and games to include mowing, trimming, raking, lining, etc.
- Actively participates in athletic department functions and meetings, and in university committees as assigned.
- Maintains effective working relationships with administrative staff, coaches, student-athletes and other staff.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree required in a field related to sport management, wellness, education, or health and physical education. Previous college softball coaching experience required.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in a field related to sport management, wellness, education, or health and physical education. Previous NCAA college softball head coaching experience.
Physical demands / Word environment:
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move to up to 50 pounds.
- Regularly works in outside weather conditions.
- Physical labor of mowing and softball field upkeep.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials have been received at the office indicated below.
Letter of interest
Completed Bluffton employment application form
Phill Talavinia, athletic director
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45871-2104
Employment decisions are based on merit and university needs, and not on race, color,
national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution,
Bluffton University expressly reserves its rights to appoint faculty and staff who
share a commitment to the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist
beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church. EOE.
Employment decisions are based on merit and university needs, and not on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University expressly reserves its rights to appoint faculty and staff who share a commitment to the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church. EOE.